Friday, January 18, 2008

First sale to high school class mate



The assignment was to paint a wash with no subject in mind and then to look at the surface until a subject appeared. Then by painting make the subject you see more visible. I saw these beautiful mature women. The curved serpentine lines of the figure was the subject for me. I named the painting "Three Graces" and was surprised that one of the girls in my class liked it enough to buy it. It turned out that it was not the only painting I sold. Two teachers also purchased paintings. One was of a whimsical reclining figure in a fern grotto. The other was a fiery blaze of colors which I named "Fire Bird." The animals could have been interpreted as a dragon form. Mrs. Bartell almost reversed the negative idea that I should not paint Asian subjects.

No comments: