Sunday, January 20, 2008

Beach grass and dune painted in 2000 is recognized in 2008 as a serpentine shape that is repeated in my work




Almost eight years after painting these rhythmic strokes like calligraphy, I am happy to see that "Beach Grass" is a prime example of how dragon images occur with frequency in my painting. The dragons often appear in the calligraphy. I am also in debt to my college education under Frederick Heidel at Portland State University, Portland,Oregon. His teaching and understanding is very much appreciated. His teaching is that there is no right or wrong way to start a painting. You can begin by marking off large shapes or as I have done here with the calligraphy. What is important is having a rich development.
The blog "From Then to Now" is not just about me but a giving back to the art community. I attempt to demonstrate the rich experience coming from having a body of work to look back on and to continually grow with my history of examples in easy reach.

No comments: